Please click on the link to the letter Parent Council Chairs from the Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Education and Skills launching the consultation - Empowering Schools: A Consultation on the Draft Provisions in the Education (Scotland) Bill:.
The Education Bill will include a number of provisions to ensure that decisions that shape the education of our young people will be made in classrooms, schools and establishments by people working directly with those young people, their parents and communities. The Bill will provide:
- More freedom to make choices about curriculum, improvement, and funding at school level
- More freedom for headteachers to choose school staff and management structure
- New Regional Improvement Collaboratives to provide streamlined and strengthened support to teachers, drawing on experts from local authorities and Education Scotland
- Strengthened engagement with young people and parents in schools.
- The establishment of an Education Workforce Council to take on the responsibilities of the General Teaching Council for Scotland and the Community Learning and Development Standards Council and to register other education professionals.
The consultation will seek views on detailed policy proposals for these issues and will run until 30 January 2018. Responses will inform the drafting of the Education Bill which will be introduced to Parliament during the current parliamentary year.
I would be grateful if you would distribute these letters to all staff and parents within your school.
We look forward to hearing your views on the proposals.